Coral propagation referrs to the assexual reproduction of "clones" of coral polyps. Coral propagation can be intentional or natural.
Why force propagation?
- Propagation can decrease some of the pressure on nature. A lot of coral is imported into the United States annually. (Visit the US Coral Reef Task Force website for more information.)
- Corals grow...eventually into on another.
- Spreading special genetics can decrease the cost of mother colonies.
- Helps populate backup tank systems.
- Supports the trading for other corals of interest.
- Helps drive the market for coral and coral products.
Please stay tuned for the next part in this series where we explain the conditions and tools needed for coral propagation.